Fireplaces add a welcoming aesthetic to your living area as well as keep you cozy and warm in the winter. Unfortunately over time you may find yourself with one of the more unwelcome aspects of fireplace ownership: soot stains! Soot can build up on your surround, glass doors, and sometimes even walls. Carpets and fabric can also become stained with soot. What’s a homeowner to do? Don’t despair-With a little work, soot stains can be a thing of the past. Here are some tips to help you make those stains disappear:
• Before choosing a method to clean your glass, consult your warranty!
• Surprisingly one of the best ways to remove soot from fireplace glass is using the ash itself. However be sure to use cool ashes for cleaning! Take a damp rag or newspaper, dip it in ashes and use it to clean the door. Next wipe the glass clean with a clean damp rag. Finally use crumpled up newspaper to dry.
• There are also various commercial cleaners available for purchase, or a mixture of ammonia and water can be an effective cleaner as well.
• Keep in mind that regardless of which method you use, it takes time and elbow grease to produce good results!
• Cleaning your glass regularly will help prevent heavy soot build-up.
Clothing and fabric
• Shake off the excess soot before attempting any cleaning so it doesn’t spread.
• Running fabric inside out under cold water will help rinse soot out.
• It’s best to wash in the washing machine with hot water and bleach.
• Rubbing alcohol may help if the stain remains.
Carpet and Upholstery
• Dampening the stained area and then apply baking soda, allowing it to sit for 15 minutes or more before cleaning can help lift the stain more effectively.
• Use 1 teaspoon of dishwashing detergent mixed with 2 cups of cool water. Apply with a clean rag. Once the stain disappears, clean with a fresh cloth and cold water, then dry.
Floors, walls, and surround
• Give a magic eraser a try-it can work wonders on hard surfaces!
Your chimney sweep is the best resource for soot problems. Can’t seem to get that soot to disappear? Call North American Chimney and Gutter today! North American Gutter and Chimney services the following areas: Bay Shore and Bedford Hills New York; Philadelphia and Harrisburg Pennsylvania; West Borough and Boston Massachusetts; and Fairfield Connecticut.